Sunday 22 January 2017

Stranger Things

Netflix, caught up, etc. Maybe the hype killed it for me but...

Stranger Things, well, kind of worked for me. I was there for the actual early 80s so I appreciated the effort (and tutted when the agents picked up MP5Ks from a locker in the future - seriously, nothing says early 80s like the Uzi 9mm) but I’m not sure a hybrid Spielberg / King homage (with music riffing on John Carpenter for added tonal dissonance) really worked.

And it was really three shows that met in episode seven.

The kids were in a World Of Darkness: Innocents game with little real danger, the teens were in Fear Itself with plenty of danger and the adults were in DramaSystem.

(None of them are D&D. Although Mirliton are no doubt delighted to have that Grenadier miniature for the Demogorgon on sale.)

And best of all it had closure, apart from the inevitable epilogue. Netflix sure does like its cliffhangers.

Edit: Also, great series pitch book. Which I note has the kids, teens and adults on separate pages! As well as the now odd idea of setting the next season ten years later...

No comments:

Post a Comment