Wednesday 30 September 2015

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity...

You can’t take the sky from me...

It’s been ten years since the release of Serenity. I was at the world premiere a month earlier - about which I remain kind of smug to this day.

It’s a great example of comparing the pacing of a series to a movie or a campaign to a one-shot - and how to bring something to a definitive conclusion. (Nothing like killing enough beloved characters that it starts to look like you’re aiming for a TPK...)

The official Cortex Serenity RPG came out right about then, which is still my expectation for licensed RPGs. I was running it while the movie was still in cinemas - one session only one player turned up, so we went and watched it...

It had some features I still like - players get bennies for activating their characters’ disadvantages, and ship creation includes ads and disads like being Loved as well as regular this-many-escape-pods ones. If I were to run a game in the ’Verse I’d probably use the Cortex+ Firefly, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment